3 1/2 cups scrubbed and peeled sunchokes, cut into 1″ pieces
3 organic garlic cloves
1 medium organic yellow onion, cut into 1″ pieces
4 large organic shallots, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp grape seed oil
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 + Tsp sea salt
fresh thyme for garnish
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Thoroughly clean sunchokes, use a paring knife to peel off the skins.
3) On a large baking sheet combine onion, garlic cloves and sunchokes. Sprinkle with a couple hearty pinches of sea salt. Toss vegetables in 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil and cook for 15- 20 minutes or until sunchokes can be easily pierced with a fork.
4) While vegetables are roasting combine shallots and coconut oil in a nonstick pan.
5) Heat over very low heat, stirring every 7 minutes, until browned and slightly crispy.
6) The trick to the best caramelized shallots is to cook over the lowest possible heat!
7) If cooking with an electric oven consider using a flame deflector.
8) In a medium soup pot combine roasted vegetables, almond milk, vegetable broth and sea salt. Bring to a low boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until sunchokes are easily crushed with a fork.
9) Transfer soup to a blender and blend until creamy. Add more sea salt to taste.
10) Garnish soup with caramelized shallots and thyme. Serve immediately!