1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion chopped
4 habanero peppers diced
4 cloves garlic chopped
2-3 cups chopped mango I used 2 cups for this recipe, but you can use more as desired
6 ounces tomato paste
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons spicy chili flakes
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ cup brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat a large saucepan to medium heat and add olive oil with onion and peppers. Cook about 5 minutes, or until everything softens.
2) Add the garlic and cook another minute, until garlic becomes fragrant.
3) Add remaining ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
4) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 20-30 minutes.
5) Process until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a ½ cup of water or more and continue to process to your preferred consistency. Serve the sauce right away, or let it sit awhile to allow the flavors to more fully develop.
Notes: Heat Factor: Medium-Hot. You'll get a nice level of heat from the habanero peppers. Looking for a milder bbq sauce? Cut back on the habanero peppers by replacing some with milder peppers, or core them out to remove some of the heat. Want spicier? You can easily add more habaneros, or go with hotter peppers, like the ghost pepper. YES!