1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
6-7 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
12 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned & quartered
8 ounces fresh, baby spinach
3 large shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, divided
salt & pepper
1) In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Cover and keep warm over low heat
2) In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
3) Add the mushrooms and again, sauté until they also start to get tender, about 5 minutes.
4) Season with salt and pepper. Add the rice and stir to coat.
5) Now, add 1/2 cup of simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
6) Continue cooking the rice and adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring almost constantly to allow each ladle of broth to absorb before adding the next. Do this until the rice is tender and creamy but not mushy, about 30 minutes total.
7) Remove from the heat. Stir in spinach and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Allow the spinach to wilt completely and transfer the risotto to a serving bowl.
8) Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and serve immediately.