Coating for Tofu
1 15-ounce package extra firm tofu, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
1 tablespoon cornstarch (or more to coat)
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste
For the Orange Glaze:
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Juice and zest of one Cara Cara orange (or another type of orange), approximately 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free option)
2 teaspoons agave or other sweetener
2 tablespoons vegetable broth
1/2-1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the Crispy Tofu
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the coating and toss the tofu to coat.
3) Spread the coated tofu on a greased or non-stick baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until crispy.
4) While the tofu bakes, make the sauce.
For the Sauce
1) Combine in a small bowl, the juice, zest, vinegar, soy sauce, agave, and broth.
2)Heat the sesame oil on medium heat and sauté the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes for 1 minute or until fragrant.
3)Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a simmer for 5-7 minutes. To thicken the sauce, mix the cornstarch and a small amount of water to make a paste prior to stirring or whisking in the sauce. Once the sauce reaches the desired consistency, turn off the heat and set aside.
4) Once the tofu is baked to desired level of crispiness, remove from the oven. Toss the tofu and sauce in a medium bowl and serve. Top with scallions and sesame seeds, optional.
See if you're in our to get the needed for this recipe delivered to your doorstep + use code KIWI50 for 50% off your first order!