1 Cup Gold Metal All-Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Apple Pie Spice
1/2 Cup Cold Unsalted Butter
3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
3 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar, Packed
3 Large Gala Apples
3 Large Ripe Pears
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1) Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and apple pie spice. Cut in 1/2 cup butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until mixture looks like rolled oats. Stir in 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and the brown sugar; set aside.
2) Peel and core apples. Cut into quarters, then cut each quarter crosswise in half. Repeat with pears. In 4-quart Dutch oven, combine 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted; stir in apples. Partly cover; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Add pears; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes, depending on ripeness of pears. In small bowl, mix remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the cornstarch and cinnamon; add to fruit mixture. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
4) Spoon fruit mixture into ungreased 9 1/2-inch glass deep-dish pie plate. Spoon topping evenly over fruit. Place pie plate on cookie sheet.
5) Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbly. Serve warm or cool.
Subscribe to Betty Crocker recipes at www.bettycrocker.com/recipes